This is where I go out on a limb and ponder a while.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day Twelve: Food

I am thankful that we have enough food.  Today I spent the day processing venison. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I prefer to handle it myself to make sure it's done right and to cut down on costs.  And I am thankful now to have fresh, organic meat in the freezer.  We aren't in danger of going hungry, but that doesn't mean I want to waste food or throw away money recklessly towards my grocery budget.  My youngest daughter who is just ready to turn 11 years old recently asked me why, if one has money, one doesn't just spend it?  I guess, to someone who has never lived more than 10 years, that is a valid question.  I tried to explain to her the importance of having a cushion, being prepared for the possibility of losing one's job or facing a medical catastrophe.  I know she listened, but in her world those are just not things to worry about. I guess I don't want her to worry about them, either.  Let Mom and Dad do the worrying.

Does anyone else put up venison?  Around here, everyone does.  There are countless venison cookbooks floating around, and you can get venison jerky, hotdogs, sausages, bratwurst, you name it.  What I would really love to try is venison bacon.  Is there such a thing?  Seriously - bacon is so bad for you, and I refuse to eat it, but I bet venison bacon would be a whole lot healthier.  I would eat it!

I'll be glad when the hunting season is over.  Then we can focus on the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment