This is where I go out on a limb and ponder a while.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Resolutions: Part 2

Remember my New Year's Resolution?  I'm going to be brave.  I'm going to be brave enough to try new things. Well, today I want to add on to my resolution.  Now, don't panic, I'm not raising the bar - this is a good one.  In fact, you may even want to try it out yourself:  I'm going to be brave enough to let go of things that I'm not good at.  Ok, you're thinking, big deal, anyone can do that.  Maybe so, but for a perfectionist/optimist, it's a nightmare.  Not only do I constantly put pressure on myself to be able to do all of the things my mother/Martha Stewart/my friends can do, but I think I have all the skills and time to do it just because "I think I can"!  My cup is always half full! :)  Not such a bad way to be, mind you, but it gets me in trouble.  A lot.  Because I have a craft room/office that is filled to the ceiling with half-finished projects because I have neither the time nor the skills to see them to fruition.

Today I am working in the kitchen.  Here is where I shine.  I'm a pretty darn good cook/baker, if I do say so myself.  It comes naturally to me and I love doing it.  By the middle of the afternoon I've baked an apple pie, and some vanilla cupcakes with coffee buttercream frosting, then cleaned and stuffed 2 ducks and put them in the oven for dinner.  As I'm cleaning up the kitchen, I look at what I have accomplished and it hits me that I've been kidding myself for a very long time.  There is no reason to try to do all of those crafts and sewing projects, just because they're cute and everyone else is doing them.  This is what I do best and it makes me happy.  And when I take a really good photo and see it pop up on my computer screen, it makes my heart sing.  So, what I need to do is be brave enough to go into that room and clear out all of that stuff and give it away to make room for...what?  Yikes, it's going to be a big job.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you well! I think you're on to something. I bet your friends wish they could bake/cook like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, are you sure we weren't separated at birth? If you post a photo of your craft room, I'll post one of mine. Not!! It's scary.

    I need to sort and sell on ebay or something. I'll never get to 3/4 of what I have. :)

    ReplyDelete