This is where I go out on a limb and ponder a while.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Dirty Monday



I'm so excited to finally get my hands dirty!  I've been stalking the garden section at WalMart for weeks, waiting for the herbs to arrive, and finally, yesterday I was able to purchase some potted herbs.  None of the local greenhouses are open yet, of course, because it's too early to be planting a garden.  But you can always count on WalMart to rush the season, right?

I love cooking with fresh herbs.  I've been growing them in my garden for the past 2 years, but I really miss having them over the winter.  I'd like to try to keep them in pots year-round.  Does anyone know if that will work?  Well, I'm going to give it a try.  Probably drive my husband crazy, having all these potted plants to trip over, but he does love my cooking :)


I've always had pretty good luck with this brand, by the way.  I've seen them at WalMart and Pamida.



While I was photographing the herbs on the kitchen table, this little lady bluebird showed up by the deck, looking for some breakfast.  The bluebirds are hard to shoot because they're always looking down at the ground for something to eat!


I caught her fluffing her feathers - it's cold here this morning.


And here is her 'significant other', also looking down at the ground.  A split second after this shot, he dove down to the grass and nabbed some kind of a meal.


Aren't the goldfinches gorgeous now that they have their summer plumage?  Sometimes there are 10-15 of them clamoring for the feeder.  They have to kind of wait in line on the branches above and take turns, although they are not nearly as polite about it as the chickadees.  They make a lot of noise - it sounds like the bird section at the pet shop.  

Well, I'm off the computer and into the dirt!  Have a great day!
Marie

3 comments:

  1. Your herbs look healthy and ready to go!

    The bluebirds are so special and I am also so happy to have the goldfinch back to their bright yellow. They always make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried herbs indoors (yet) but might do so this year!

    No bluebirds here, but the goldfinch are in record numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love greenery, especially herbs. your herbs look just great!
    i am now going to have to try herbs indoors.
    thanks to you!

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete