This is where I go out on a limb and ponder a while.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

All I Ask

My youngest son asked me what I want for Mother's Day this year.  At this point in my life I don't need or want anything material.  So I told him I didn't want anything.  He wasn't satisfied with that answer, of course.

As I was driving into town the other day, I was having one of those days where I felt weighed down by the negative self-speak:  I shouldn't have said this, or why didn't I say that instead?

I think most mothers can relate to the second-guessing that goes on inside my head some days.  It's not constant.  But we all have days like that occasionally.  I just happen to be having a few more days like that lately with a beautiful little girl who is flourishing, yet struggling to become a young woman.  It is a difficult, tumultuous journey, and I have to remind myself to be patient and and understanding. 

So as I was driving that day, it came to me that all I really want for Mother's Day is to hear that I haven't totally screwed up as a mother.  And that my children, please God, be better parents than I was.

On a lighter note, I'm sharing these photos of a handsome visitor to my feeder this week.  Sadly, my hummingbird family did not return this year, but we have two pairs of orioles that are finding the hummingbird feeder to be just to their liking.  Aren't they gorgeous!  Have a great day! :)



2 comments:

  1. Oh Marie..I am sure you are a wonderful Mother! It is obvious how much you love your children and that is what it takes! I know your kids love you right back!

    I am envious of your orioles. I have my hummingbird feeders and oranges out but I haven't seen hummers or orioles. Still hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our orioles returned this year, but I've only seen one hummer who turned his nose up at my feeder. Hmmm.

    Hang in there... they do grow up so fast. :)

    ReplyDelete